Saturday, June 16, 2012

Caleb's Best Day Ever?

So, Caleb's favorite flight demonstration team, the Blue Angels, are part of an air show in Baltimore this weekend, as part of the War of 1812 Bicentennial.  Since we just saw the Blue Angels perform last month, I decided not to brave the crowds of downtown Baltimore to see them again.

Since the air show performances were taking place right over Fort McHenry (instead of at an airport or air base like most air shows), the planes were all staging from a smaller airport east of downtown.  They advertised that we would be able to see the planes take off and land, and also that the Blue Angels would be signing autographs after the show.  I decided the chance of seeing the Blue Angel pilots up close would be better than seeing them perform again so soon.

I also wondered what would happen if Caleb wore his Halloween costume from last year.  Since this trip was a surprise for Caleb, it took some convincing to get him to wear it without telling him why, but he did.  Once we got to the airport, and everyone saw him walking around in his costume, we were repeatedly asked for him to pose for photographs with people.  This included a group of mostly foreign naval officers who were there for the Sailabration.  Their U.S. Navy escort (a young lieutenant named Dawn) was excited to see him, too.

After her group finished getting their pictures with Caleb, she told us the pilots would be landing and signing autographs about forty-five minutes later.  After getting some lemonade, we went back to wait by the main airport building where we had met LT Dawn.  We got to see the Blue Angels come in to land:



As we continued to wait, the jet pilots parked, deplaned, and started to sign autographs where most of the crowd was waiting.  During this time, one of the C-130 pilots came over, talked to Caleb, and posed for this picture with him:


He also told Caleb that if he really wanted to fly when he got older he had to work hard in school, do what his mom and dad tell him, and eat all his vegetables.  We should be able to milk that for a while!

After the jet pilots were done signing autographs, they went back to where the planes were parked to take pictures with some groups of VIPs.  Caleb and I continued to wait:


I'm not sure how these VIP groups are selected, but one of them was the foreign group and our new friend LT Dawn.  While she and her group were waiting, I could see her talking to one of the other C-130 pilots, who was acting as a "wrangler" for the VIPs.  Shortly after that, he started walking towards the fence where we were standing.  He told Caleb that one of his friends wanted to meet him, and asked if he would like to come out by the airplanes.

Of course, we accepted and waited with the VIPs to have our picture taken:
 

Unfortunately, but understandably, they didn't have a lot of time to talk to Caleb, but they were all awesome, and seemed really impressed with his uniform.  We lingered on the tarmac while they took a few more pictures.  As they walked towards us to go inside, Caleb threw up a salute, which at least the "Boss" returned.  When they passed closer, they all gave Caleb a high-five.

I didn't get a picture of the salute, but I got this one as they were all walking away:




[I started off planning this thinking it would be cool for Caleb to see the pilots up close and maybe take a quick picture with some of them while they signed autographs.  As you can tell, it ended up being much more than that.  I am truly thankful to LT Dawn Stankus, who really took it upon herself to get Caleb to meet the Blue Angels.  Of course, I'm also thankful to all of the Blue Angels, who took more time out of their busy schedule to meet Caleb.  Officers and gentlemen, every one, they made that little boy very happy, and encouraged even more his dreams of flying one day.]

No comments: